Healthy Breakfast Spinach Gratin
When there's a chill in the air, and bed is that little bit too comfortable, a frozen smoothie may not be the ideal breakfast to lure you out from under the covers. What you need is something that's equal parts warm and nourishing! But what if you're short on time or don't feel like cooking up a storm? We have the answer: This easy and healthy spinach breakfast gratin!
Nutritionally it ticks all the boxes, promising to keep you full and satisfied throughout the day. It's low carb, and packed with micronutrients, protein, and healthy fats! Best of all though, this wholesome dish can be made ahead of time to simply be reheated for a super quick and easy breakfast.
Breakfast Spinach Gratin..
1 – 2 Tbsp Olive oil
1 Lg Onion, peeled and diced
2 Garlic cloves, minced
2 Cup Zucchini, grated
180 grams Fresh spinach leaves, chopped
¼ Cup Fresh parsley, finely chopped
2 Tbsp Fresh thyme leaves
1/3 Cup Feta cheese, crumbled
1/3 Cup Sour cream
1/4 Cup Quinoa flakes
1/4 Cup Cashews
¼ Cup Fresh parmesan cheese, grated
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- In a large fry pan heat a little olive oil over medium heat, add the onion and garlic and saute until tender.
- Add the zucchini, continue to saute for another 2 minutes. Add the chopped spinach and herbs, saute until all the spinach is wilted.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool enough to handle. Transfer the zucchini and spinach mix to either a clean kitchen towel or muslin cloth and squeeze as much liquid out as possible.
- Crack the eggs in to a large mixing bowl and beat well. Add the feta and sour cream and lightly beat to combine. Season with a little salt and pepper.
- Stir in the drained zucchini and spinach and then transfer to a lightly creased casserole dish.
- Add the quinoa flakes, cashews and parmesan cheese to a blender, pulse a few times until mixture resembles a crumb.
- Sprinkle over top of the gratin and season with a little salt and pepper. Bake in the oven for 30 – 45 minutes, until cooked through and golden brown on top. Serve immediately.
Recipe note: Make this ahead of time to simply be reheated for a super quick and easy breakfast. Will keep in the fridge when stored correctly for 2 – 3 days.